One of the most common questions my clients have is, what should we wear to our session?
Much of it Is personal preference, but I also always ask them, what they plan to do with their photos. is the purpose of the session to create beautiful pieces of art to put in the grand entry of your home or another room? If the answer is yes, take a moment to think of the look you would like in there. What color is the room, do you have a theme in the area?
Another important consideration is the location, you will want to look like you belong in the location, yet also be comfortable. I have created a resource for my clients about what to wear, and I would like to share that here with you.
My sessions are very custom and during our consultation, we will discuss your clothing choices in detail if you would like my advice or assistance in outfit planning.
Enjoy the tips!
What to wear Guide:
- Steer clear of fluorescents. Primary colors are recommended – think yellow (mustard), red (maroon, brick), and blue (navy, royal).
- If we will be photographing you in a grassy area, avoid wearing too much green. You can certainly use green as an accent color though! The goal is to make you stand out in the scenery.
- Once you find one family member’s outfit, base the rest of the outfits off of that one. The outfits do not need to match, rather complement each other. A tip is to choose two to three main colors of wardrobe and maybe on accent pop of color. Just remember to be sure your personality shines through in your clothing selection.
- Wear what you feel good in! ~ If you feel comfortable, you will look more comfortable. A great example of this is if you are uncomfortable in heels, don’t wear them, and rather opt for a cute wedge or flats.
- Layers are great! ~ Layers will add dimension and depth. In the summer you can layer a dress with a cute belt or pendant necklace. In the fall and winter, you can incorporate cardigans, belts, statement necklaces, scarves, hats, and blazers.
- Purchase clothes that fit – Try to avoid clothing that is too big or too small. Saggy jeans, or a jacket falling off the shoulders, for example, will appear sloppy in the photos. The best option is to purchase clothing that fits perfectly or just slightly snug. Creating a nice tailored look can often be achieved by selecting clothing that lays nicely around your hips and waist.
- Ensure that your undergarments are not showing.
If we are doing an in home newborn lifestyle session, I recommend keeping the wardrobe nice and simple. I recommend gray, black and white for these sessions. The goal is to not have the wardrobe selection overpower the baby who we are showcasing.
Dress for the weather, and be flexible ~ Keep in mind that weather can sporadic so it’s always a good thing to have optional items in place in the case that you need them. For example, if you plan to wear a sundress, have a light cardigan available should it be too cold to wear the dress alone. On the other hand, if you are overdressed and sweaty you won’t look or feel comfortable. Even if you have the cutest outfit ready to go, if the weather takes a random turn please choose something else to wear to ensure comfort.
Dress for the situation – Just as dressing for weather is important, it’s also important to dress for the situation. A fancy black dress and a dress shirt wouldn’t be the best for a forest or grassy setting. More formal wear is more appropriate for an urban or big city feel. During the in-home lifestyle sessions, I encourage you to not match, just wear what you would normally wear at home. The session is meant to be as normal and real as possible.
Tips for women-
- Maxi dresses
- Skinny jeans
- ¾ sleeves
- Avoid crazy patterns
Tips for men-
- Polo or collared shirts
- Nice Jeans
- Avoid logos on clothing
Ideas for children-
- Timeless outfit selections always look great.
- Cute shoes can make the outfit- unless were shooting at the beach, then barefoot is best.
- Keep hair accessories simple.
Places to shop-
- Gap.com $$-$$$
- Freepeople.com $$$-$$$$
- Anthropologie.com $$$$
- Jcrew.com $$$$
- Hm.com $-$$
- Forever21.com $-$$
- Modcloth.com $$-$$$
- Shopruche.com $$$
- Joyfolie.com $$$$
- Fleuranddot.com $$$$
- Nordstrom.com $$$$
- Childrensplace.com $-$$
- Urbanoutfitters.com $$$
- LaneBryant.com $$-$$$
Also remember – antique stores, garage sales, flea markets, Target, EBay, Zulily, hand me downs, your friend’s closet. You never know where you will find the outfit that you can’t live without for your photos!